Saturday, January 15, 2022

Writing with Spreadsheets

 I write my story as I go. I don’t normally layout what is happening in each scene however I will occasionally write something I want to happen at some point during the story. I love using spreadsheets for an issue I do have. I forget my characters' names. Not that it doesn’t fit them, I forget people's names in real life, especially if I hear it once. I have a difficult time remembering names and if I associate it with something, I won’t remember the name. I remember what I associated it with and that’s all. So that technique doesn’t help me.

When I put a character's name in the spreadsheet, I’ll include any relevant information about that character. Their birthday, hair color, eye color, skin tone or texture, who they are friends or related to, where they work, special talents, quirks, allergies, where they were born and raised.

A spreadsheet simply makes this easier to do, especially if I need to look up something I put it in search and it will pop up. I keep a spreadsheet for each book unless it happens to be a series then all of them end up on one which helps me from using a name multiple times for various characters even if they are not a lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment